Sunday, December 10, 2017

Only Begotten Son

This is my second to last P day email and I feel "Baat gam gaau jap" A hundred feelings combined in one.

This week we met Anita in the park while waiting for another investigator. She volunteers at the park cleaning and has lunch there every Wednesday to Friday. We chatted and explained our purpose here in Hong Kong. We asked if we could come back the next day, same time. So we came back two days in a row after that. The third time we brought a Book of Mormon, and she was so excited to read it. She kept flipping through and asking questions.  
We invited her to read and she said she could probably read at least half of the book! 😱 Because she loves reading. We were like, "Oh! Wow, ya, great! You just call us if you have any questions!" I love love love testifying of The Book of Mormon in Cantonese.
We also met the coolest guy on the MTR last week named Stanley. He is from Nigeria, has lived here for 5 years, and speaks some Cantonese! We met with him on Saturday to talk about our beliefs. He is Christian and asked us the neatest questions like, "What motivates you to follow God? How do you study the Bible?" and then after our introduction of our favorite book...
"How do you know the Book of Mormon is true?"
Stanley quoted so many Bible scriptures, and I was so inspired by his love and study of it. One thing I loved was that he said "The Bible has about 40 men from different ages and cultures, that come together to tell one story, one direction and purpose. No other book is like that. It is from God."
I felt the Spirit so strongly talking with him. He was courteous and kind and just really devoted to God and Jesus Christ. It was really humbling. I was also really thankful for seminary and all the scripture masteries.
Mostly, I was just overcome with gratitude to be a Christian. There are so many good, good people. I am so thankful for the Bible. Lately I have been reading the gospels, especially the beginning of Christ's life. I love reading about the obedient, eager sheperds; Mary who pondered everything in her heart; the wise men who sacrificed much to see the Christ child; and the angels who brought "glad tidings of great joy."
A new investigator, Kelly (Yes the Buddhist one) met with us again this week. She literally calls us and literally things we are angels. hahahahhha But I was studying our missionary purpose this week and I realized how similiar are missions are with the people in the nativity story. We must be humble and prepared and believe and share the news like the sheperds. We must be meek and courageous and reverent like Mary. We must be studious and deliberate and longsuffering like the wise men. But most of all, we are here to "declare glad tidings of great joy!"
Something Sister Johnson and I also realized is that Christ's lineage is recorded in detail in the Bible, but it is Joseph's side of the family. And Joseph wasn't Christ's biological father. We wondered why Mary's was not. But it was cool to think about Joseph and adoption and the importance of a mother and father and families and prophecies of Christ.
Rose is doing well! We met with her and she told us she hadn't read the Book of Mormon because there are too many characters! hahhahha I know how you feel Rose! We read 2 nephi 31 together and set a new baptismal date for Chinese New Year. We told her she could start by just reading 5 verses a day. Her testimony is really growing, and now we are just helping her have the faith to act and really change.
I love Rose! I love our little flock in Kwai Chung. Everyone is doing so well and is so special and I will miss them SO much. I wish I could write about each one.
Also, last thing. I love John the Baptist. Reading about him is so inspiring and makes me want to repent. One Bible verse calls him "dayspring" or dawn. It is neat to think about that, because Jesus Christ is the Sun and Son. John understood 37 "For with God nothing shall be impossible." John's mission was 79 To give light to them that sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the way of peace.
I am grateful we still have prophets today to do that. There is so much light in my life, and I am thankful I know the source of it.
I don't have much time, but I just want to bare testimony that Christ lives. This scripture is true...
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. 

He loves you!

No comments:

Post a Comment