Monday, November 27, 2017

I'll Be Home for Christmas

We went to dinner with Tim and Ann at a fancy dim sum place and had the best goose I have ever had. Also, Tim and Ann are like my Hong Kong parents. They are so kind and love taking pictures of us and feeding us amazing food. I cannot wait for December 24th when Tim gets baptized!!!!
So our church is under renovation so we use the back door and we can't use the password anymore because the Elders' teenage investigator would always find it out and sneak in and play ping pong. So...we use keys now and only a handful of people have keys. So we unlock it for people sometimes. One morning we were doing personal study and hadn't gotten ready yet (Because we live with 6 sisters and can't all get ready at once) when a member called. So we threw on skirts, thinking we'd come right back. But then she invited us to breakfast! We just laughed sitting there eating our eggs, sweet bread, and honey chicken and Ovaltine drinks with our messy hair. 
THANKSGIVING!!!!!
Was perhaps one of the best days of my life. Sisters Magleby and Briggs were also in charge of stuffing, so we made it together. We were ripping pieces of bread and putting them in trash bags with spices to sit overnight. And....it was all worth it. Our stuffing was amazing. It was pretty funny bringing the food on the MTR. We had Thanksgiving lunch with our whole Zone and it was just picture perfect. So many friends, good food, ping pong, games, gratitude. I just felt like I was with "my people." Sister Johnson and I had not eaten that much food in....the whole time together. hahahha It's a good reintroduction to American portions and food. Anyway, we also went around a circle and said what we were most grateful for in Hong Kong. I said the temple. The Hong Kong temple is one of the few in Asia, and so it serves a vast majority of the world population. It's been neat to see the families that come here and the sacrifices they make. 
I also had my departure interview with President Lam. I will miss President Lam and Sister Lam SO much. President Lam is THE most Christ-like person I have ever met. His wisdom, devotion, and grasp of the gospel is so inspiring. He is always calm and happy and peaceful. Just his being is a good example of the blessings that come from living the gospel. 
So....we also had the Annual Thanksgiving Party for our ward. It's a big deal. And we were put in charge of making a piñata. (And mashed potatoes. I learned that Chinese people really don't know how to make mashed potatoes)  So after the initial turkey piñata activity to make it with the primary kids, we had to do another coat, and then we couldn't find paint ANYWHERE and had to buy brown paper and do another coat. And so it turned out pretty hard. In the end, a kid snapped a wooden broom stick on the piñata and it almost hit someone, and they had to unplug the hole and dump the candy on the floor. I actually didn't see any of this because we had 7 investigators, 3 nonmember families, and some friends of members. It was pretty chaotic. Oh, I forgot, we were also in charge of the 10 minute performance. So, I read a scripture from Alma, all the missionaries bore their testimonies, then we all sang For the Beauty of the Earth, then did the Virginia Reel. It was one of the funniest things teaching the Elders the Virginia Reel prior to that day. They did a good job! 
On Thanksgiving night we went to a YSA activity with our investigator Yui. We watched 17 Miracles, and I realized all the miracles that I have seen on my mission. There are many. 
Transfer calls! I will be transferred to Utah. And Sister Johnson's new companion is Sister Scott!!!! They were in the same MTC group, and I think they'll be a fabulous companionship. 

So...I am trying to be as normal as possible, but I am leaving this Friday. I still haven't come to terms with it, and it has been SO hard saying goodbyes here. Even harder than coming here, because I don't know if I will see some of the people again. I feel like I am leaving another family. 
But, I guess Heavenly Father wants the next chapter of my life to begin, and I have to continue to put my trust in Him. I will share more at my Homecoming, so for now, just a small thought, and then I will see everyone in Utah!
My 17 Miracles...
~1~Learning Cantonese. The Gift of Tongues is real, and it is hard to describe the experience of receiving it. 
~2~Being trained in the prettiest area: Pok Fu Lam. And my wonderful trainer Sister Gomez
~2~Meeting 2 girls from Mainland in waterfall park and teaching them who God and Jesus Christ are as the sun set on the ocean
~3~Teaching Tim and hearing about his Christmas Eve baptismal date
~4~Seeing Daphne testify of the Book of Mormon to a new friend a few weeks after she was baptized. 
~5~Learning who the Savior is and how much I need him
~6~Really understanding and knowing that we are ALL children of God
~7~Hearing Jeung Ji Muih say that she knows God lives
~8~Finding 12 investigators in one month
~9~Seeing Emma's brother and mom support her at her baptism
~10~Giving a Book of Mormon to an Atheist who was briefly traveling through Hong Kong and knowing the Holy Ghost testified of my testimony as we sat in that little bus
~11~Being companions with Sister Johnson. 
~12~Every single time I gave someone a Book of Mormon or shared my testimony
~13~My love for my family growing, across oceans and thousands of miles
~14~Hearing Yui tell me that she will never stop praying and that we helped her achieve her dreams and planning an American road trip with her
~15~Heavenly Father teaching me to notice the diamonds among the pebbles on every path
~16~All the butterflies that I saw and being reminded that I am surrounded by angels
~17~Experiencing conversion.

This has been the biggest blessing of my entire life. I can't say the smallest part of what I feel. I love this gospel. I love Hong Kong. I love the people here. I know God is a God of Miracles. I know that Joseph Smith is a prophet, who restored Christ's original church. I know my family is eternal. I know Heavenly Father is all-powerful and all-knowing. He is merciful and kind and patient. I know Christ lives. 


No comments:

Post a Comment