Sunday, December 10, 2017

This week was a week of miracles! We chose themes for each of my last 6 weeks, and this week was The Church is True, the Book is Blue. We based all our finding on the Book of Mormon. We were able to give copies to Oscar, Thomas, David, Jenny, Tiffany, Mandy, Hellen, Cecelia, Kimberly, Kathy, Annie, Chloe, Kathy, and Candy. And we organized a district finding and other missionaries gave out 4 copies. It was such a joyful experience speaking to people about this book. The words seemed to fly from my heart to the air, and I felt so much peace. The words don't have to pass through my brain as much as my Cantonese improves, and I have an inner peace about my purpose. My purpose as a missionary is to yield to the Spirit and just open my mouth. When the words make it into the air, the testimony and Spirit is there, and then it is in the hearers' hands. Sometimes the hearer doesn't even want to hear, but sometimes they have been listening for a long time. Cecelia and Kimberly were such examples. We met them on the street. My amazing amazing companion Sister Johnson was walking nearest to them, and asked them if they had any brothers and sisters. It was different than the "Golden Questions" I usually ask, and so I was hoping the girls' interest would spark and they'd want to talk to us. Then immediately I felt a warm peace come over me stemming from the trust and love I have for Sister Johnson. She is so hardworking and so inviting of the Spirit. I feel like her heart is a shelter. Like, I can't adequately explain it, but she lets Heavenly Father widen her vision, love, and capacity to serve. And then her testimony becomes like a shelter for anyone who needs it. Her charity is immediate and already radiating, and if you are lucky enough to walk into her bubble of light, you feel drawn to the Savior. She is a true disciple.
So anyway, after I was humbled in that way,Cecelia and Kimberly did respond well! They talked about their families a bit, and Kimberly said she was looking for a church! She asked if it was near. Cecelia wasn't very interested, but she was with her friend, and besides, her friend said she's super dakhaahn. (free) So, we walked together to the church right then and there! And had a lesson! Guys, that doesn't happen very often! 
We connected right away. Even if their teenage lingo and fast talking was a little hard to understand. We talked about our missionary purpose, and their understanding of God. Cecelia shared that she felt like she couldn't get close to God. She was hesitant to share why, so I shared Ether 12:27 and testified of its truth. I said I was thankful that God gave me a new start to every day. She said she wanted that, but felt like she had to apologize to God and other people. Yes! I said. That's called repentance. So we talked about repentance and she shared that one time she stole books as a kid, and felt guilty, and the store is no longer in existence. I just hugged her and she cried and we scheduled another time to meet. I told her to pray and I would pray and we'd talk about it on Saturday. On Saturday she said she didn't want her guilt to stop her from getting to know God. She said she felt so much better after confessing to me, and then we had a wonderful lesson on the Godhead and The Book of Mormon and bits of the plan of happiness. When Sister Johnson told her she is a daughter of God, you could see her countenance change. A spark of hope and familiarity and happiness. She is special. I know she is a daughter of God.
Kimberly and Cecelia both accepted a baptismal date for December 25th!
Yesterday, I found out an investigator from Pok Fu Lam, Tim Chan, also is getting baptized on December 24th!!! I LOVE the Chans. Tim and Ann are from China, and recently moved from Australia. Ann joined the church a few years ago, and Tim's family was baptized, but went less active right before he was born. But he still remembers hitting balls back and forth with Elders over the fence of his childhood home. Anyway, his story is so interesting. But no time! He is simply the kindest man in the world. He took me and a bunch of other sisters on a hike in October. It was complete with photo ops, lunch, an itinerary, and kind words of encouragement and appreciation. I never thought he'd get baptized that soon, because he was a tad stand offish about actually attending church. But I knew it would happen eventually. I texted them during dinner that day and they said they had just been thinking about me. They wanted to do my last P day together! They are seriously so nice. Today we are going to the Jumbo Floating Restaurant in Aberdeen to yam cha (to eat dim sum). I am so excited for their family!
Then yesterday was dear sweet Emma's baptismal service!!! Remember Emma? She showed up to church on October 1st, and she and her brother were our last investigators for that month we found 12. We went to an activity, taught her, and attended General Conference together. She didn't live in our area, so the Tsing Yi sisters taught her the rest. She invited us to the baptismal service and we were ecstatic. Her mom and brother came too, and I suspect they will be baptized soon. Afterward Emma shared her testimony. She mentioned attending church for the first time in Kwai Chung and loving the people there. They were welcoming and kind and willing to help. She also shared 1 Nephi 3:7 with everyone. I recently memorized that scripture in Cantonese, so it was really special to hear. It now feels familiar to me in a deeper way. I love Cantonese. Emma said that scripture was really meaningful for her. She is truly amazing and has such a strong testimony. 
We also had exchanges this week and I went to Butterfly Ward with Sister Webb. On Saturday morning we studied with the youth that have mission calls. Two girls both going to Hawaii on the same day, and 2 boys both going to Canada on the same day!! I did a sit faahn (role play) with the girls, and they taught me the Restoration in English, their mission language. It was neat to be on the other end of hearing people teach in their second language. I noticed incorrect pronunciations or awkward grammar, but it didn't matter. I felt the Spirit. I love hearing the lessons. It speaks to my heart that I would have accepted these truths even if I wasn't born into it. After, the girls humbly asked for how they could improve. I told them the thing that helped me most in the MTC. Instead of thinking about "What should I say?" Think "How would Jesus feel?" Then Heavenly Father blesses you with charity, and you invite the Spirit to teach the person, not just a lesson. It was so fun to see the girls diligently and quickly write What would Jesus Feel? in the front of their Preach My Gospels. Recently, I have really had a strong desire to teach in the MTC.We will see.
Sister Webb and I sang primary songs in companion study, and all the feelings from primary came flooding back. Friends, music, fun teachers, and just knowing things were true. Nothing else seemed to block what I was learning, and I took them in just like I did food and water. Of course Christ lived. Of course he loves me. Of course. 
  1. 2. I wonder, when he comes again,
    Will I be ready there
    To look upon his loving face
    And join with him in prayer?
    Each day I’ll try to do his will
    And let my light so shine
    That others seeing me may seek
    For greater light divine.
    Then, when that blessed day is here,
    He’ll love me and he’ll say,
    “You’ve served me well, my little child;
    Come unto my arms to stay.”


    I know Christ is a God of Miracles. Because he helped me learned Chinese. He helped me love the people I didn't want to love. Because he helped me understand the gospel joyfully. 
    I am thankful that in about 3 weeks I can hug my earthly dad, and stay. 
    I know that we can all be ready for that day. I know Jesus Christ can teach us how to pray. I am thankful Heavenly Father wants us back. This is all true. I hope we can listen to the Spirit's quiet promptings, confirming  "Of course." 
Douh Ji Muih

No comments:

Post a Comment