Sunday, October 29, 2017

Kindness

This week was filled with....
~Realising Hong Kong lacks regular frosting, cookie mix, and basically anything necessary for a Halloween party that American teenage girls know how to throw
~Finding everything we needed anyway, in a sub-par, very creative sort of way. hahahha No really this is going to be a fantastic party! We have face paint, cookies, doughnuts, candy, games, and music. I personally cannot wait to see Hong Kong parents rocking out to Thriller. (Especially because they love singing and Ls and Rs are really hard to say)
~The Primary Program!!!!!! It was amazing. One family brought 3 other families who had never been to church before! I was so impressed with the kids' preparation and spirit. One song in particular made me feel the Spirit and brought tears to my eyes. They sang Love One Another and on one of the verses, they switched to English. I didn't even realise they switched languages until about half way through the chorus. And they signed it! Seeing sign language made me so happy and a bit emotional. In Pok Fu Lam ward, there are deaf members, many of whom were so willing to teach the missionaries. Even though I don't know a ton of sign language, I love love love HK sign language. It brings everything I love in one: Cantonese, dance, communication, and learning. When I danced in FHE the other week, using the sign for atonement made me so happy....feelings you can only describe in Cantonese and dance and sign language! Anyway, the primary program was amazing. And we got to take the sacrament for the first time in 3 weeks! Typhoon, General Conference, and Stake Conference happened all in a row!
~Last P day was sooooo hot! We went hiking with an investigator for about 3 hours. The view was breathtaking though. We could see Repulse Bay and the ocean reaching out, exceeding in its horizontal expanse the verticality of all the buildings. We then went to the beach after our hike and took about 170 pictures with Yui's tripod. hahahahaha Sister Johnson and I were laughing about how that day we were the people on the beach that we would have made fun of. Yui is a fan of all things 7th grade pinterest. It was actually really fun! #sisters4ever! 
~My adorable companion made me the most meaningful, kind planner cover. It's my last one. I cried when she gave it to me.
~We came up with themes for each of these last 6 weeks. This week's was Be Among the People. We tried to embrace and love the culture and people more than ever. We spent time in the park listening to a 79 year old man playing his homemade flute, cleaning the pier and handing out hundreds of fliers along the way, and talking to everyone about questions we felt would really resonate with the Hong Kong people. This morning on the MTR here, I met Philip and Eerie. Phillip grew up in Florida but spoke Cantonese fluently. I asked them if they were religious. If they believed there was any possibility God existed. And if He did, how He'd communicate with them. Philip said maybe through dreams. Eerie said maybe dreams, but probably through not normal ways. Then Philip asked me how God communicated with me. I can't really explain and retranslate what I said, but I know the Spirit brought to my mind and helped me explain prayer, faith that someone was listening, scripture, good feelings that I know come from God because He created us and the universe, and knowing that He exists because when I follow Jesus Christ, I see positive results in my life. They seemed interested and I sensed an almost tangible light spark in that cool MTR car. Even though I don't often have the privilege of seeing the MTR people again to teach them, Sister Johnson once told me that Elder Nelson promised the missionaries here that the "Questions [we] ask the people of Hong Kong will keep them up at night." When she shared that with me a few weeks ago, I got teary eyed. Sometimes it seems like a drop in the ocean, the meaningful conversations I try to have with people on public transportation. But if I can smile at someone, allow someone to see Christ's name, ask a question that prompts thought and soul-searching, I feel fulfilled. In a small way, I helped one of my brothers and sisters consider eternity. In a place that mortality can seem stifling and like a dead end.
I am grateful that because of the gospel there are not dead ends!
Speaking of which, repentance is why that is true. Sister Johnson and I learned a lot about repentance this week. We are both intense perfectionists. Which makes contentment and happiness something we have to seek, and somewhat of a rarity. We aren't even quite satisfied with our offering. But this week we learned and taught each other that mercy and patience is something Heavenly Father has. Perfectly. And He wants us to develop that as well. For everyone. Including ourselves. If we were perfect, that would be a dead end. We can always get better. And that is hope! Not condemnation. Not being not enough. Jesus Christ is the only perfect person, because he didn't even commit a sin of omission. He literally did everything for all of us. We CANNOT do that. So we can only be perfect in him. I am thankful for that! As Elder James (the previous older assistant to Pres. Lam) said "We are dependent beings. We are mere mortals." 
My word this week was Prince of Peace. I know Christ lives. I see everything around me as evidence of that. It brings everything to life. We can only truly live when we are in his service. He is the bread of life. The light and life of the WORLD! I hope you can imagine how much I am smiling right now standing in the Central Apple store. I believe this!!!!!!!!!!
As you read this, imagine adorable Chinese kids singing this and signing the lyrics...
Love one another
As Jesus loves you.
Try to show kindness
In all that you do.
Be gentle and loving
In deed and in thought,
For these are the things 
Jesus taught. 

Kindness is in the way you live. Heavenly Father sent His son to show us how to live, and to live forever in wholeness.

I love you all! Love one another!

No comments:

Post a Comment